As I’ve mentioned before, we bought an Instant Pot a few months ago and absolutely love it. For those unfamiliar, an Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker. It also has other functions including slow cooking, rice cooking, sauteing, etc. It can seriously replace many appliances in your cupboards while adding electric pressure cooking which has truly changed my cooking for the better.
This recipe I found on Gina’s SkinnyTaste is a great way to use the Instant Pot for a quick, simple and flavorful dinner or a great meal prep option for work day lunches. My husband is not a fan of corn, which Gina’s recipe called for – so, I removed that an substituted red onion. The nice thing about this dish is that you can absolutely play around with the accompaniments to the chicken and use whatever you like, black beans, chick peas, pico de gallo would all be great with this chicken! Bon appetit!
Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Bowls with Quinoa
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 1 c. Prepared Mild Salsa
- 1 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3/4 c. Uncooked Quinoa, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 c. plus 2 tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1 c. Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 c. Red Onion, diced
- 4 oz (1 small) Haas Avocado, sliced
- 4 Lime Wedges
- Step 1 In a medium bowl combine the salt, cumin black pepper, chipotle, and salsa.
- Step 2 Place the chicken in the pressure cooker and pour the salsa over chicken. Cook on high pressure 20 minutes. Quick or natural release.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, add the quinoa, water and salt to a saucepan and cook over high heat, bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for about 18 to 22 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat. Stir in the lime juice, olive oil, 2 tbsp. of cilantro.
- Step 4 Remove the chicken and place in a bowl, shred and add 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Step 5 Place 2/3 cup quinoa in each bowl, with 1/2 cup shredded chicken topped with more sauce, 1/4 cup of red onion, 1/4 cup tomatoes and 1 ounce avocado.
- Step 6 Top with remaining cilantro and serve with lime wedges.