I love Indian food. Making it seems a bit intimidating. I’ve tried making healthy versions of Tikka Masala before, and I have not been pleased at all. I recently found this simply perfect recipe from a blog I love – Well Plated by Erin – and thought I would give it a try. We absolutely loved it. The flavors are spot on, and the Instant Pot cooks the chicken so perfectly – tender and still incredibly juicy. I love the creaminess of the light coconut milk and the Greek yogurt – without all the calories and fat. It’s perfectly balanced and so very flavorful. If you love Indian food – or even if you don’t know if you love Indian food – give this recipe a try. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much you love this lightened up version of this Indian dish – and, if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s even better the next day! Bon appetit!
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.)
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne (use more if you like the dish spicy)
- 1 (8-ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 3/4 c. frozen peas
- 1/2 c. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Prepared brown rice or naan, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Step 1 Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and set aside.
- Step 2 Add the butter to an Instant Pot and set to SAUTE. Once melted, add the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and the spices are very fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the chicken pieces, stir to coat with the spices and onion, and cook, stirring often, just until the outsides start to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. Vent to immediately release the pressure.
- Step 4 Uncover and stir in the coconut milk. Turn the Instant Pot back to SAUTE. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and let it continue to simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off, and then stir in the peas. Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes, and then stir in the Greek yogurt (do not stir in the Greek yogurt right away or it may curdle). Enjoy warm with rice or naan and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.