I’ve been searching for breakfast recipes which are low in carbs but still filling, packed with vitamins and fill me up until lunch. Busy days at the law firm usually prevent me from having a morning snack, so it’s important my breakfasts are hearty enough to prevent me from being famished by lunch time, but also balanced and healthy. I love the flavor of turkey sausage, but so many are loaded with ingredients you can’t pronounce and are not good for you. So, I’ve created this version using lean ground turkey and adding spices which gives you all the flavor and none of the additives of store bought sausage. This paleo-friendly breakfast bake is loaded with fiber, protein and lots of flavor. It’s my favorite, guilt-free breakfast. Bon Appetit!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bake
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 tsp. Dried Sage
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 3 c. Button Mushrooms, sliced
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 6 Green Onions, sliced
- 3 Small Tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 16 oz. Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed
- 2 1/2 c. Egg Beaters or Egg Whites
- Step 1 To make the turkey sausage, in a medium bowl, mix the ground turkey, sage, 1 tsp. salt, pepper, marjoram, red pepper flakes and cloves until mixed well and combined.
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 3 In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble the turkey sausage. Add olive oil if necessary.
- Step 4 Add the mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the green onions, tomatoes, basil, spinach, remaining salt and cook about 2 minutes or until softened. Pour mixture into a 9×13″ oven safe dish.
- Step 5 Pour the egg beaters or egg whites over the sausage and vegetable mixture and bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife, inserted in the center, comes out clean.