Chicken salad is go to in our house for a weekend lunch or a light supper. My chicken salad game was changed forever when Ina Garten taught me to roast my chicken breasts on the bone with the skin on seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sounds simple, but roasting the chicken and most importantly NOT OVERCOOKING it, is the key to a moist and delicious chicken salad. When I serve it to guests, it is always a huge hit. They love it and can’t determine why because the ingredients are not anything out of the ordinary. But, the key is moist chicken! And, reducing the mayo by adding the non-fat Greek yogurt gives it a lighter but still flavorful taste. The crunch and tartness from the apple is a perfect contrast to the sweet grapes. I hope you enjoy this simple chicken salad as much as we do!
Honey Chicken Salad
- 2 lbs Split Chicken Breasts (skin on)
- 1/2 c. Light Mayo
- 1/2 c. Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and medium diced
- 2 cups Seedless Grapes (red, white or both)
- 1/2 cup Pecans, toasted and chopped
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet with sides, skin side up.
- Step 3 Rub olive oil on the chicken breasts and sprinkle with 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp of freshly ground pepper.
- Step 4 Bake for 45 minutes or until juices run clear when a knife is run through the meat.
- Step 5 Cool, and then debone and chop into medium sized chunks for the salad.
- Step 6 Whisk the mayo, yogurt, lemon juice and honey with 1 tsp of the salt and 1/2 tsp of the pepper until mixed well.
- Step 7 While the chicken is still warm, add the mayo/yogurt mixture as the dressing is absorbed best with the chicken while warm. Then, add the remaining agreements and mix until well incorporated. Serve at room temperature immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.